Wednesday, January 28, 2015

AT JESUS' FEET


"Now it came to pass, as they went, that He entered into a certain village:  and a certain woman named Martha received Him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard His word.  But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to Him, and said, Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to serve alone?  bid her therefore that she help me.  And Jesus answered and said to her, "Martha, Martha, you are careful and troubled about many things:  but one thing is needful and Mary has chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her"
Luke 10: 38-42

My family and I recently moved into our new home.  There were many days when I was pulled in every direction trying to get moved in before Christmas, which is also around the time that the cold weather comes.  It was hectic and nerve wracking, to say the least.  There were early mornings and late nights.  It would have been so easy to put off the most important things, which was my prayer and bible study.  My body was tired but my spirit remained strong.  I knew that rest was important but I couldn't rest from prayer and the word.  They were needful.

I always loved reading the story of Mary and Martha.  When life gets busy, as it often does, that passage is a good reminder where our main perspective should be.  We have to live our life and there are duties and responsibilities that we must take care of, but the Devil will take advantage if we're not careful.  He wants us to neglect what's most important in life.  Satan does not want us to spend anytime with the Lord.  Like Mary we must choose that good part and find our place at Jesus' feet no matter how crazy things get.  
"I have so much to do that I shall spend the first three hours in prayer"
Martin Luther 

Satan robs us of our victory by having us believe that everything else is more important than to sit at the Master's feet and hear the word.  If you're a busy career woman or a man who works all day to support your family, why not rise a bit earlier each morning and set aside that time for prayer and meditation.  Sure, it will take some commitment, but it is the best thing you can do to keep that passion for Jesus Christ burning in your heart.  When you start your day off with prayer and bible study no matter what happens throughout the remainder of the day you will be blessed and have a peace and calm about everything.  Don't get me wrong, the Devil is not going to stop trying to get you frustrated and upset about this and that, but because you took time to pray and put God first your battles will already be won.  

My prayer for you today is that you set aside time each morning for prayer and bible study. Why not get up 30 minutes earlier before your day gets too busy.  Keep things in perspective.  Put God first.  There should be nothing that's more important.  The Lord wants a relationship with us but sometimes we can get so busy that we forget the most vital meaning to our life and that's to have a personal relationship with our Lord Jesus Christ.  Let our first choice be Him.