Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Boast Not About Tomorrow (Proverbs 27:1)

"Do not boast about tomorrow, For you do not know what a day may bring forth"
Proverbs 27:1


Many times I hear people tell of all the things they will do in the future tense.  They will say, "Next weekend I'm going to visit some old friends of mine from high school or, "My family and I are going on vacation in another month."  As a matter of fact I hear someone say on a daily basis I'm going to do this or I'm going to do that.  As if they know they're going to be in condition to do those things or either take for granted that they will even be alive to do those things.  We should learn to pray, "LORD, being in your will we will get this done or we will get that done."  We have no way of knowing what tomorrow will bring.

"Come now, you who say, "Today or tomorrow, we shall go to such and such a city, and spend a year there and engage in business and make a profit.  Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow.  You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away.  Instead, you ought to say, "If the LORD wills, we shall live and also do this or that."
James 4:13-16


Father, we ask you to help us to pray according to Your will, for neither of us knows what a day will bring.  Help us to thank You for the present and trust You for our future.  In Jesus name, Amen!