Sunday, May 1, 2011

Early Will I Seek You


"And in the morning, rising up a great while before day, he went out, and departed into a solitary place, and there prayed"
St. Mark 1:35

Jesus Christ set an example for us.  Arise early to talk to the Father.  I have adopted this practice and I find that it sets the tone for my entire day.  How much better it is to arise early, while most of the world still sleeps, before the busyness of tasks and chores crowd your mind.  There's just something about spending those few moments in the fresh morning dew with the Lord.  There's a peace and quietness about this time.  Most men and women who ever had a testimony that really had a work for God, spent time alone with God in the morning hours.  I currently take care of my mother who suffers from Alzheimers and many times she doesn't sleep much at night and rise earlier in the morning.  At first it was hard to adapt to this but I've now learned to take advantage of those early hours by praying.  Most of the times when she walks into the room and sees me praying she just goes back to her room.  So this is a double blessing for me.  It is a good practice if you are really seeking to develop a prayer ministry that you get up early.  The rest of your day will be more peaceful knowing that you've spent that time in prayer and not have life happen and you end up not praying at all.  I like knowing that I talk to God first before I talk to anyone else.  Learn to put Him first.   And prayer should be your most important time of the day.  It doesn't matter how long it is.  It doesn't matter what position your body's in.  Just learn to pray as Jesus did and many others who shook the world with their Faith.  Don't let the best part of the morning pass you by.

Below are some scriptures on seeking God in early morning prayer:

Psalm 5:3  "My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O LORD:  in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up"

Psalm 88:13  "But unto thee have I cried, O LORD; and in the morning shall my prayer prevent thee"

Psalm 143:8  "Cause me to hear thy lovingkindness in the morning; for in thee do I trust:  cause me to know the way wherein I should walk; for I lift up my soul unto thee"

Proverbs 8:17  "I love them that love me; and those that seek me early shall find me"

Psalm 119:147  "I prevented the dawning of the morning, and cried:  I hoped in thy word"

Psalm 57:8  "Awake up, my glory; awake, psaltery and harp:  I myself will awake early"