Thursday, February 6, 2014

Fret Not Thyself


“Fret not thyself because of evildoers, neither be thou envious against the workers of iniquity”

Psalm 37:1
 
 
 

What a refreshing Word from the LORD this morning.  I love to pray early in the mornings, and this morning was no different.  After talking to the LORD for a while I asked Him to speak to me through scripture and this chapter from Psalms was laid upon my heart.  For the past several weeks I have experienced great moments of anxiety and fear.  I know that God is always here for me and that He is a present help in the time of trouble.  But I still worried about things.  Have you ever felt this way?  No matter how much you pray you still find yourself worrying about things? 

My heart was so heavy this morning that around 2 am I found myself not being able to sleep.  I got upon my knees and “prayed” to God.  The song of the old hymn came to mind:

What a Friend we have in Jesus,
all our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry
everything to God in prayer!
O what peace we often forfeit,
O what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry
everything to God in prayer.

Have we trials and temptations?
Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged;
take it to the Lord in prayer.
Can we find a friend so faithful
who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness;
take it to the Lord in prayer.

Are we weak and heavy laden,
cumbered with a load of care?
Precious Savior, still our refuge,
take it to the Lord in prayer.
Do your friends despise, forsake you?
Take it to the Lord in prayer!
In His arms He’ll take and shield you;
you will find a solace there
.

Every word of this hymn spoke to me as I poured out my soul to the LORD.  It is so comforting to know that we can take all our complaints to Him.  He will not turn us
away.  We may in this life experience pain and sorrow but God will never refuse and despise us.  We truly have a “friend in Jesus”.  He will not forsake us because we mess up in this life and make mistakes.  He takes all our pain, shame, dishonor, and troubles and turns things in our favor.  Because of some recent happenings I have often felt so shunned and shut out from others, but I can rest assured that the LORD will never forsake me. 

Psalm 37 is a message of hope for all believers.  We all have had our share of worries about this or that but the LORD is saying, “My child I see it all.  You only need to commit your way to me.  I will not fail you.  I am faithful.  I will bring to pass true justice and equity.  Don’t seek revenge.  Just trust my Word and I will not fail.  It is the meek who will inherit all that I have for them.  In your patience possess ye your soul”. 

I heard a well-respected man of God say recently that we breathe in and out Jesus this way:  when we pray we breathe Him out, and when we read the Bible, we breathe Him in.  I never thought of it that way but it’s so true.  We need both prayer and the Word to truly live this life in Christ.  How grateful that I am to know that it is God who fills me with all good things and that without Him there is no life. 

Are you heavy laden and burdened today?  Why not slip away for a brief moment and have a little talk with the LORD.  Tell Him all your troubles.  Lay all your worries and fears before Him upon the altar.  He will not fail you.  He has promised that we will inherit eternal life.  There is nothing too hard for God.  Follow up that prayer with the Word.  Meditate upon it and soak it in.  Then just wait patiently for God to answer.  It may not be the answer that you seek, but just know that God will not forsake you.  Sometimes you may get a yes and sometimes you may get a no.  There may be times when God will say not now.  Just rest assured that He will be there for you.  Don’t worry.

For further reading meditate and read the entire chapter of Psalm 37.  It will truly bless your soul.