Friday, February 10, 2017

BEAUTY FOR ASHES

Read Isaiah 61: 1-3

As I approach my birthday this coming February 12th, I’m reminded of exactly one year ago during this time I was preparing to go through my first round of cancer treatment.  When I walked into the chemo suite I was petrified with fear.  Going through chemotherapy is what scared me most.
Lord how am I ever going to get through this!  Is this really happening to me?

For those of you who has ever gone through treatment for cancer, or has known someone who has (especially chemotherapy and radiation), severe side effects are not uncommon.  Loss of hair, appetite changes, nausea, vomiting, and extreme weakness.  There is also depression.
 No amount of makeup could cover up what I felt inside during those months.  It was a cold, dark place. 

I endured 16 rounds of chemotherapy and 33 radiation treatments.  By the end of those months I was simply depleted. When I looked in the mirror I saw a woman with no eyebrows, lashes, and no hair on her head.  My nails were chipped and blackened from the neuropathy, and they hurt badly.  My entire body was in constant pain. 

“To appoint to them that mourn in Zion, to give to them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that He might be glorified” (Isaiah 61:3)

The LORD always comforted me during those times.  He was my strength.  He was my shoulder to cry on.  At my worst, He gave me His best.  I felt the presence of Jesus Christ throughout it all.  I never could have made it without Him.

Jesus took all the old and raggedy parts of my life and gave me His beauty.  He always reminded me that I was loved, and that no amount of pain and suffering that I was enduring could ever squash that love.  On those dark days He always sent light (from the many prayers of the saints, a loving husband who stood right by my side, my kids who cooked for me, and my brothers and sisters who were my biggest support). 

I don’t know what you may be facing today in your life, but Jesus is right there comforting you.  This may be something you have never faced before, but it is not too big for the LORD.  Nothing Is Ever Too Big For The LORD!  Put your faith and trust in Him.  Praise Him through your storm.  He won’t let you sink, no matter how rough the waves.  He did it for me!  He will do it for you!