Tuesday, February 14, 2017

LOVING US AT OUR WORST



As I looked in the mirror at the face staring back at me, I caught a glimpse of my eyes.  They looked tired and worn down.  The effects of chemotherapy were taking its toll on my body, and it was starting to show on my face.  Being at home, I could no longer hide behind the sunglasses and wig.  Standing in front of that mirror was the true reflection of myself.  There was no escaping that reality.

I don’t feel so beautiful.  Many times, I just burst into tears. 

What I learned most last year during my cancer treatment was just how important it was having people there in my corner.  There were many days that I didn’t feel beautiful.  My husband, Jay R, never failed to not only tell me how beautiful that I was, but show me as well.  He cooked, cleaned, and saw to it that I was on time for every doctors’ appointment.  My brothers and sisters back home was always as near as the telephone and supported me in every way possible.  Prayers went up for me every Tuesday, which was the day that I always had a new chemo treatment.  I just felt extremely blessed to have the love of family in my life.  My husband got to see my worst days, unlike everyone else.  He saw me in the moments when I didn’t feel so strong, or so beautiful. 

I think about the love that Christ has for us all.  While we were yet sinners, He loved us enough to give His life on the cross for our sins.  We didn’t deserve such grace and mercy.  No amount of human love could ever compare to the sacrifice God gave to us when He gave His Son to pay the penalty that we all so justly deserved.  God always sees us at our worst, yet He loves us the same.  Nothing, or no one, can ever separate us from this love. 

“For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord”
Romans 8: 38-39

Today, if you’re feeling unloved, unworthy, and unappreciated…..remember that there’s  Someone who loves you.  Jesus Christ, the Son of the Living God, who looks at the heart of every man, has a love for us unlike any other.  Real agape love.  A love that bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.  A love that never fails.  A God who, though He sees all of our imperfections, loves us still unconditionally.  You don’t have to feel on today that you are not loved.  There’s a Man Called Jesus, who loves you until the end.  No man, woman, or any other created thing, could ever compare, nor can break us apart from that love.