Monday, March 13, 2017

AN ATTITUDE OF PRAYER






Seek you the LORD while He may be found, call you upon Him while He is near:  Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts:  and let him return to the LORD, and He will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for He will abundantly pardon” (Isaiah 55: 6-7)

How much time do you give God every day?  Have you resonated to just serving Him on Sundays?  Do you only find the necessity to seek Him when you’re in trouble, sick, or suffering a great loss?

It’s a sad thing, but we sometimes don’t make God a priority in our busy lives.  We give Him what is left over of us at the end of the day, when we’re usually so tired that all we’re good for is to crash in bed, or mumble a quick prayer before drifting off.  Often, we may just turn on the television and go straight to bed.

This has been me at various times in my life.  I found time to do everything that I deemed important, except to give to the LORD some time alone in prayer.  I remember once a prayer that I prayed to God: “Lord, don’t let me be happy and content if I’m not praying.  Shake things up in my life when I become too complacent.”  Occasionally, we may need a shaking and stirring.  Complacency should have no place in our prayer closets.  I don’t care what else we have to do, we must make time for prayer.

“Give ear to my words, O LORD, consider my meditation.  Hearken to the voice of my cry, my King, and my God:  for to You will I pray.  My voice shall You hear in the morning, O LORD; in the morning will I direct my prayer to You, and will look up” (Psalm 5: 1-3)


What are time times that you are most fresh?  For me, it’s the early morning hours, before anyone else gets up, and things are still quiet.  This is when I’m most alert, before things get too busy…...before the phone starts ringing, cleaning the house, or preparing family meals.  I find myself discombobulated when I don’t take the time to give God the first fruits of my lips at the start of each day.

God deserves our very best.  He doesn’t deserve what we have left over.  When it comes to our praying, however long it may be, give to the LORD your best.  Shut off the phones, television, and internet.  Find a place where you can meet and be alone with God daily.  You will see things start to turn around for you.  With all the crazy things going on in our world today, there’s no better time to develop an attitude of prayer. The sweetest fragrance we can ever send up to God is our prayers, prayed from a sincere heart.